Saturday, October 7, 2017

Who Was A.B. Turner?

Some background on the characters in these letters:
Albert Burnett Turner - 'Babe's 1st cousin on his mother's side
Hattie Bernice Turner - Albert's wife
Edna Turner - Albert & Bernice's daughter

Cora  (Akers) Barnett - widow of Joseph Barnett, a brother who also homesteaded to Oregon.
Sadie Barnett - Joseph and Cora's daughter

Pete ? - was not referring to my Dad.

There are three letters from A.B. Turner to 'Babe'. One is undated and does not say where it's sent from. Reading between the lines I think it may have been the first one written.

The second is sent from Union, OR. on March 17, 1921. The third is written from LaGrande, OR. on April 9, 1921.

In 1913 A.B. and Bernice are living in Roanoke, Virginia. 
In the 1920 census they are living in Wallowa, OR. with 'Babe' and they now have a daughter.
In 1930 A.B. and his family are in LaGrande, OR. and 1940 as well.
'Babe' remains in Wallowa.

The Letters:
(letters transcribed below)
reading between the lines
Were these letters written to 'Babe' during his trip back East?
Did Bernice and Edna return to Virginia and A.B. is now attempting to get them back to Oregon?
We may never know.
 

not sure what A.B. means by 'married to Butler'
but it does fall in with the timeline 
of 'Babe's visit to Will and Belle.

A. B. did not return to Virginia and died in Oregon.

From what my Dad told me as the years went by, times got rough for the clan in Oregon and their timberland and houses became heavily mortgaged. 

Dear Babe
Am sending deposit slip for $104.35 and will write as soon as I hear from Bernice. I guess she has asked yu for the money so if she has I have sent her some and it will be returned to me if she is gone so I won't have to wait very long to pay you.
I can't see my future in VA for a while yet but some day I will want to live back there. i would be willing to go now if I had a little money but I can't see my way clear yet.
Your Friend and Pal
A.B. Turner
March 17 1921
Union Ore
Dear Babe
I am sending you a Deposit slip showing a credit of one hundred and three dollars & 50 cents to your account at LaGrande National Bank and I want you to draw it out and get Bernice and Edna and bring them back to me as I am not able to send enough to get them here. I can't live this way any longer. They are wanting to come back and I will go any place with you and settle down for life and that won't be long with me and I want them here. I can send you $50.00 and let you have all of the next payment on the Land notes. I don't think the John McDonald note will be worth a Damn when they come due so this is my last chance to get them back here. I hope you can do something right away or tell me what you are going to do. I am working now but don't know how long I will hold out. I have pretty good prospects for a good summer. You write to me soon.
Your Friend
A.B. Turner

April 9, 1921
LaGrande, Ore 
Dear Babe
Bernice arrived last night and I am working for ______ Paint Shop. I will send $50.00 at this writing so you will be on easy street again. I thank you for the money and will see to the balance of $60.00 soon as possible. I don't think I will see the East for several years yet. But I feel that I will go some time. I guess you will be married to Butler soon and can't get away. Well I will write sometime again and tell you more. Pete went to Wallowa for three weeks work will be back next week. He is bunking in your shack. Cora and Sadie went with him. I was up there to see Johny Mac and could not get a dollar out of him.
I don't know anything of interest to write so I will close for this time. I get 80 cents per hour and everything furnished.
With love to All
A.B. Turner














No comments:

Post a Comment