Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Another Cousin Heard From

This letter was sent by Mary Whitlock who was the daughter of the oldest of the Barnett siblings, Cora Lee (Barnett) Whitlock. And I would venture to say it is written to Bernice Turner who has been part of previous posts.

(click the pic to enlarge)
(letter transcribed below)
Apparently Aunt Maggie's financial setbacks had begun.

She mentions not knowing 'their' address.
By this date Cora (Akers) Barnett 
had remarried to Rudolph Peterson.

I would take a guess that Mary was left-handed. (takes one to know one ;)

Riner Virginia
Sept. 17, 1932
Dear Mrs. Turner
Mother received your letter sometime ago and is unable to answer it, as she has something the matter with her hands, also kidney trouble and doesn't feel well. Roy, Walter and I have written to Aunt Mag since but she seems only to have gotten one letter I sent by air mail.
We are awfully sorry about Aunt Mag and I think my brothers will try to help her. However I had planned to spend the winter in New Orleans, LA. with my brother. Roy and Walter were going to give me this trip, but they said if I could spend this winter with Aunt Mag and help her for my board & room it would be cheaper and I don't imagine my clothes would be so expensive either as I went to New Orleans. I'm just crazy to come west, do you think Aunty would have any place for me as that I could get a job out there. My brother said he could come after me in his car in the Spring.
Is Sadie going to school this fall? I'd sure love to see her, don't know their address so I'm enclosing to aunt Cora a letter in yours.
Aunty says your daughter is in normal this year. I had two years at normal but my salary would be cut from $85 to $63 so I'm not teaching.
I go over to cousin ???'s about every week. Mary and Katherine have gone back to the D.C. to work they have good positions. Mary is certainly attractive. Katherine isn't pretty as Mary but she is attractive too. Both of them have splendid taste in clothes.
Guess I better close as its getting late. Mother sends her love to all of you
Sincerely yours
Mary Whitlock



No comments:

Post a Comment